This may not be an entirely relevant post here but seeing as how I found this forum searching for a remedy for my specific ailment (and seeing as how I wound up here searching for it) I thought I might as well post my findings.
I recently started working at a restaurant where the money is much better, though the position is lower, a.k.a. dish washer. I have never washed dishes at such a high capacity establishment. My hands are almost constantly submerged in water for the length of my 8 to 9 hour shifts (using a commercial-grade Dawn dish soap and highly diluted bleach). Two such shifts in a row leave my hands and forearms depleted of any moisture (in an extreme sense). I'm talking fish scale in the sun, very painful. My internet search for whether or not I was officially allergic to bleach, etc., led me here, at which point I was sobered a bit and realized the problem was much simpler, albeit beyond basic dehydration of the skin.
My hands are accustomed to high heat and, in previous restaurants, I oftentimes received burns without flinching, but the "dishpan" condition is a different animal. First, I thought I was allergic to the bleach, then I thought that maybe I was using too much soap, then I thought maybe I had contracted a rash of some sort (something bacterial), and finally, after some internet research, realized that the root cause of the irritation was simply the act of dish washing itself. I panicked (since I have to work the same shift again tomorrow morning) and began looking for remedies when I happened across this article and read the comments which were the closest thing to helpful that I could find even though they do not touch on the extreme (read: commercial) cases that are actually very common.
Essentially, when it comes to the commercial dish washer (the human, not the machine) using lotions or exfoliating and the ilk don't quite provide the proper relief. Rubbing lotion (even though mine contains aloe) into the affected skin only burns and leaves one much more aware of the sting (in my experience it feels like nettles, nearly a chemical burning sensation).
I scoured the internet and tried just about everything and found only one combination of "remedies" that truly worked, i.e., took away the stinging pain while also healing the wounded skin: Cortisone cream and Carmex. It truly is an odd and oily solution but really works. The cortisone cream, as a topical steroid, assists in reducing inflammation and irritation (like applying it to a mosquito bite) while the Carmex moisturizes and cools. I like to have a fan blowing gently in my vicinity or venture outdoors to fully feel the raw skin cooled. The Carmex I use is the lip therapy variety. So far, I have only used the little tubes that you squeeze out and apply to your lips since this is all I have had, but does it ever feel good on the raw skin near my wrists! This treatment is, of course, coupled with constant application of a good moisturizing lotion (an old chemistry professor of mine always had "Udder Cream" on deck in the lab since we were constantly washing our hands and to this day, I believe it to be among the best moisturizers).
As I said before, this ailment is new to me and therefore so is the remedy, but it seems to be working out for me better than anything I have seen/tried thus far.