Category: 

What Is Red Mold?

Red mold can be found in damp rooms, in tile grout and even on bread.
A bleach and water solution can be an important part of getting rid of mold.
Red mold is sometimes called red yeast, and is used in the production of foods like red yeast rice.
Article Details
  • Written By: Mary McMahon
  • Edited By: Kristen Osborne
  • Last Modified Date: 06 November 2014
  • Copyright Protected:
    2003-2014
    Conjecture Corporation
  • Print this Article
Free Widgets for your Site/Blog
The oldest known tortoise is 182 years old, and is believed by scientists to be the oldest living land creature.  more...

November 23 ,  1936 :  The modern version of "Life" magazine published its firs  more...

Red mold is any mold β€” a fungus growing in the form of a filamentous structure called a hypha β€” with a reddish color at some stage of its life. Many molds are red for all or part of their lives, and people interested in identifying a specific species will need to collect some information about its characteristics in order to identify it. In some cases, inspection in a lab is necessary, as sometimes the distinctions between mold species are difficult to make without experience and special equipment.

Fungi run the gamut from obnoxious growths developing in moist environments like bathrooms to beneficial molds used in the production of food products like fermented red rice colonized with Monascus purpureus, a red mold sometimes called β€œred yeast” because of the negative associations with mold. Molds tend to enjoy moist, warm environments with limited air circulation. Some do not like ultraviolet radiation, and will avoid sunny spaces, preferring dark and dim areas or locations with indirect light. Common areas to find red species include on tile grout, the undersides of houses, damp rooms, and on foods like bread, where the high moisture level and nutrients can cause molds to thrive, sometimes exploding into growth in a matter of days.

Ad

In many cases, red mold is not harmful, although it is advisable to avoid close contact with it. Foods on which it grows should be discarded unless they are fermented or specialty foods made in controlled conditions, where the type of mold is known. In environments like kitchens and bathrooms, molds can be removed with hot water and soap. Increasing air circulation, using heaters to dry the air, and promoting the flow of sunlight into a space can limit the recurrence of molds. Solutions like bleach sprays may also help.

Some types of molds can produce toxins, making people sick. If people are concerned about fungus they encounter in their homes, they can take a swab and take it to a lab for testing. A mycologist can examine the sample, determine what kind of mold is involved, and provide people with information on whether it is harmful. The specialist may also have tips for eliminating and suppressing growth to make sure molds will not come back in the future. It is important to remove it thoroughly before painting, applying new tile or linoleum, or engaging in other remodeling activities. If the mold is simply covered, it can grow under and behind the covering, and it will become a problem in the future.

Ad

More from Wisegeek

You might also Like

Discuss this Article

anon335846
Post 3

Actually, you feed mould with bleach, because it neutralises the bleach by releasing an exoenzyme (I think it's called that) that converts the bleach into something else, which it then consumes. However, bleach does sap the melanin (colour), therefore allowing you to think that you have killed it, which you have not. Also clean the substrate. Substrate needs to be scrubbed. It doesn't just get eaten away; it's tough. To clean mould, you need metho or vinegar.

LisaLou
Post 2

@Mae82 - I wonder if the Oxiclean has bleach in it? I have used straight bleach before to spray on red mold which helps to kill the mold. I just spray it on full strength and wipe it off with a paper towel.

If it comes back, I will spray it again, but it usually takes care of it the first time.

Mae82
Post 1

I've had a lot of problems with mold in my bathroom, including a red version. I recommend using Oxiclean or a no name version to scrub at the tough spots. The brush end makes it easy to get into corners, and whatever is in it that gets rid of stains on laundry, does wonders at killing the mold.

Post your comments

Post Anonymously

Login

username
password
forgot password?

Register

username
password
confirm
email