@shell4life – To me, the smell is unbearable. I don't know how people who have to work with caulk on a daily basis tolerate the fumes!
After my dad used silicone caulk on just one small corner of the room, I had to leave for the rest of the day. The odor is a lot like vinegar, but there is a more chemically intense smell to it. Imagine mixing nail polish remover with vinegar and breathing in the fumes.
He didn't think it was that bad, but I couldn't be in the room until it had been aired out for six hours. He had left the windows open so the smell could dissipate.